Kiwanis Club History
Kiwanis Club Of Ann Arbor History of Service
Kiwanis International was founded in Detroit, Michigan in 1915 by a group of businessmen. By 1919 the group identified its focus to service, specifically service to children. Today, Kiwanis clubs and over 600,000 members are helping children thrive, prosper, and grow in nearly 80 nations and geographic locations.
The Kiwanis Club of Ann Arbor was organized on May 13, 1921, and was chartered on June 13, 1921, with 60 charter members. The club organized and chartered the Kiwanis Club of Ann Arbor Foundation, Inc. (501(c)(3)) in 1964. The Kiwanis Club of Ann Arbor is one of the largest Kiwanis Clubs in Michigan. Membership is open to men and women. We are a welcoming organization. For information about becoming a member or volunteer click here.
For information regarding our Kiwanis Club’s and Foundation’s Code of conduct policy click here.
Since 1921 through the proceeds from our Kiwanis Thrift Sale, gifts and work from our members, volunteers and staff, we have provided over $7,500,000 in grants, services, and merchandize to children, families, and individuals across our community. Refer to our annual Community Impact Report for more information.
C. S. Mott Children’s Hospital Child and Family Life Services Program.
Kiwanis supports this program in four Children’s Hospitals across Michigan. In 1922, our Ann Arbor club began working with the University of Michigan (U of M) Hospital to provide recreation and education for children staying there for long periods of time. In 1934, the work was adopted as a Kiwanis Michigan District project and named for Forney W. Clement, a former Kiwanis District Secretary and member of our Ann Arbor club. This project, called the Child and Family Life Services Program, was extended to the Mary Free Bed Hospital in Grand Rapids in 1961, to Northern Michigan Hospitals, Inc. in Petoskey in 1977, and to Children’s Hospital of Michigan in Detroit in the 1980s. Our club members make an annual gift to the Kiwanis Michigan District to support the Child and Family Life Services Programs at these four hospitals, and also contribute monthly to the “Mott Pott” to provide additional support to the Clement Child and Family Life Services Program at the U of M C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital.
Club members and volunteers have a long history of support of delivering meals for Meals on Wheels program. Meal deliveries are made Monday through Friday each week. Annually over 4,000 meals are delivered.
The Kiwanis Club of Ann Arbor Voucher Program is a program whereby social workers can bring clients to the Kiwanis Activities Center to shop for needed items at the Kiwanis Thrift Sale at no cost. This program started in 2000. In addition, our Kiwanis Thrift sale makes periodic gifts each year of merchandize directly to service agencies to support families.
The Kiwanis club of Ann Arbor began raising money through an annual rummage thrift sale in 1927. Sales were held mostly at the National Guard Armory several times each year until 1968. Our club bought a building in 1966 located at the corner of First and William Streets for club activities and the Kiwanis Thrift Sale. In 1990 the Kiwanis Thrift Sale started weekly hours on Saturdays 9 to noon. Starting in 2000, we were provided temporary use of two different warehouses to support the growing Kiwanis Thrift Sale. After 50 years our Kiwanis Thrift Sale needed a larger building and purchased the current building on Staebler Road in 2014. In 2017 the Kiwanis downtown Ann Arbor building was sold and all Kiwanis Club of Ann Arbor activities and its weekly Kiwanis Thrift Sale moved to its current much larger location at 100 N. Staebler Road at the corner of W. Jackson Road, Ann Arbor. The Kiwanis Thrift Sale expanded its days and hours and is now open Fridays and Saturdays 9 am to 1 pm except when closed on some holidays.
Warm The Children Program.
In 2017 the Kiwanis Club of Ann Arbor Foundation became the official sponsor of the Warm The Children program This program provides new winter clothes to children.
Gifts Beyond the Local Community
The Kiwanis Club of Ann Arbor members also have history of supporting world-wide health projects in partnership with Kiwanis International, UNCIEF and other agencies. These gifts come directly from individual members, not the Kiwanis Thrift Sale. Three of these projects included two world-wide campaigns. The first was a campaign to end Iodine Deficiency Disorders with $104,000 donations from members, and second was a campaign to Eliminate Maternal Neonatal Tetanus campaign with $107,000 donations from members, and most recently a local campaign to support the Haiti Nurses with $92,000 in donations from members as of 2019.
Next to The Kiwanis Center building at 100 N. Staebler Rd, home of the Kiwanis Thrift Sale, are 7 ½ areas set aside for the development of an environmental education preserve as a future service project.
Student leadership and volunteer programs at supported the University of Michigan, and in the past years in area high, middle, and elementary schools. A local Club Scout pack is also sponsored.